Monday, September 21, 2015

Petoji Day 7: Ride Report

Day 7: Kanab, UT to Kayenta, AZ

 



Strava Link: Petoji Day 7


Day 7 was another long day (175 miles), but it didn't worry me as much as Day 5. Completing Day 5 gave me the confidence to complete Day 7, and I was coming off of a short Day 6 where I had a lot of recovery time and good food. I also had a mental edge, or so I thought. I was under the mistaken impression that this was the last long ride until 168 miles on Day 21. For some reason 180 miles on Day 13 slipped my mind.

I got an early start and really enjoyed the sunrise. Riding from Kanab to Kayenta is riding from the gateway to the Grand Canyon to the gateway to Monument Valley, so the scenery was great. After about 60 miles I crossed into Arizona, the 4th state of Petoji. It was still early, but was making progress and feeling good.

The ride itself was solid. I kept a steady pace and stayed on top of my nutrition and hydration. 6,600 feet isn't much climbing for a 175-mile ride, but it was enough to keep things interesting. I finished in 12.5 hours total time and 11 hours ride time. There was a little extra off-bike time thanks to a flat tire, but otherwise it was a similar performance to Day 5.