Monday, September 21, 2015

Petoji Day 6: Ride Report

Day 6: Cedar City, UT to Kanab, UT

 



Strava Link: Petoji Day 6


Southern Utah is one of the most spectacular areas of the country. I've seen more of it off-bike than on, but I was in Cedar City with my bike to watch the Tour of Utah back in 2013 (CPW link). On Day 6 I was riding some of the same roads I rode back then and I even rode right past the campground where I stayed.

The ride started on UT 14 with a beautiful climb up through Cedar Canyon. The climb reaches an elevation of about 9,500 feet, at which point you feel like you're on top of the world. Then comes the junction with UT 148, which climbs further to 10,500 feet towards Cedar Breaks and Brian Head, where I went back in 2013. That wasn't on the schedule for today, so I continued straight on UT 14 through a beautiful meadow.

The rest of the ride was mostly downhill to Kanab. There was some headwind towards the end of the ride, but nothing like Day 4 and my mind was in a much better place. Riding was fun again. I didn't care about the slow pace. I was out there in the sun just enjoying the scenery.

I made it into Kanab in the early afternoon and had a lot of time to relax. The hotel was right next to a grocery store, which meant that I could eat some healthy food for a change. I took advantage of the time and the good food and did my best to recover for Day 7.

Cedar Canyon

Cedar Canyon

Cedar Canyon

Cedar Canyon

Near the top of the climb

Near the top of the climb

Near the top of the climb

UT 14

UT 14

UT 14